Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Giffin Art work



A few weeks ago we had our first snowfall of the season and it was absolutely beautiful. The way the landscape changed overnight was very dramatic. I latched onto my camera and went out to explore the area around the house. I had been attracted at once from the window of my studio to the snow on the bank on the other side of the river. I immediately went down and as the light began to permeate the cloud cover a soft yellow light began to shine through the alders on the opposite side of the river and wash across the water surface. I loved the interplay of reflection of the alders and the warming sunlight. It appeared as an impressionist painting. I shot a series of photos and immediately came up to my studio to address this image with it fresh in my mind’s eye. I had luckily stretched a canvas only a day or two earlier. The dimensions are 28″ x 42″ (seems to be a popular size for me as of late). I began painting with my eye set upon the still fresh image in my head and this painting fell from my brush.
Recently I was in Toronto removing my paintings from an exhibit that had been on of my work for a few weeks. While I was there I spoke with the artist that was setting up the next show. He commented to me that my paintings “looked as though I had breathed the paint onto the surface of the canvas.” I felt that was an appropriate statement because at times it feels that way when I am painting. It is a pleasure to do and a pleasure to share with you.

No comments: